Thursday 6 November 2008

variations on a theme

I know i'm slightly repetitive, but i'm on the theme of men-women again.

I guess what sparked it is that Obama won! :), yippee! and if you ask me, i think Michelle played an enormous role.

Michelle is an equal in every sense of the word to her husband, and i'm now really believing in female power.

it's odd. i would never had identified myself as a card-carrying feminist just a while ago, but now, i think i'm definitely a feminist.

don't get me wrong: i certainly don't hate men. I have lots of male friends whom i respect greatly and whom i'm fond of. But the truth of the matter is that the older i grow, the more greatly i respect women: especially the ones i meet who juggle motherhood, wifehood, a job and other passions. so difficult, so tough, and yet they pull it off well.

i'm going to be such a cool woman too!

on a more extended meditation, i have to say that it seems to me, alot of men are real idiots. (caveat: i am VERY fond of my platonic male friends!) but i guess, the year's stay in London has honestly put me off somewhat. I've been so constantly picked up, even in the damn supermarkets i'm getting fed up...look it's so cold i'm swaddled in clothes! i have no idea... is it desperation? are men really that socially inept that they don't know how to fulfil their emotional needs elsewhere? if it just sex... hey, there are other ways...

but it's true. i'm beginning to see that men are honestly simpler than women. they are biologicaly driven, i have no idea whether to pity or feel annoyed.

It's like, huh? how come men are so single minded? women can look at men and decide whether they are either friends, or potential partners, men on the other hand, i have come to realize, once they go down the track of being attracted, they either want to push ahead, or then make things so awkward and ugly that friendship is no longer possible. it's weird because if i examine my feelings, i can easily see a few men that i could, in other circumstances, be attracted to, but because they are already attached or whatever, no, and i respect them enough to want to keep this a healthy, clean, platonic friendship. but i would be disgusted with myself or with them if either of us tried to push it to something more, because it devalues the friendship.

i think i'll settle for pity, remaining cautious but not wall myself in.

men are so strange!



No comments: