Monday 3 November 2008

women i admire

It's often said that women hold up half the sky, but this week alone has showed me the kind of woman i want to grow old into. I have had an awesome week in Boston, NYC, and in St. Albans. Plenty of travelling and lots of things to think about.

I had so much fun visiting Boston and NY for the first time. it also exploded my own prejudices and biases against America, in a way i would never have expected. I loved Boston and New york so much!

i met my old professor, the person who inspired me to think of academia as a real possibility for myself. She's an amazing woman. she has two toddlers, juggling a new job now, and I know from experience she's an awesome teacher, and a great person to boot. Very kind, but not a wishy washy personality.

then the weekend when i went to St Albans and stayed over at a choir member's house, someone whom i have never talked to earlier, and i found that i really liked what i saw of her. 
Digging around the history of the choir i realized there were a couple of women who kept the choir going for...16 years!

to say i admire them for their grit, determination, commitment is saying the least. when you contextualize it against the background of them being mothers, holding down professional careers, and keeping this going even though they don't live nearby, it says something about the kind of friendships they have built up, and the kind of persons they are.

I know what kind of professor i want to grow up into: kind, personable, a good scholar, and yet someone who juggles all these things well. :)

No comments: